Monday, October 4, 2010

Andy Warhol's piece of art entitled "200 One Dollar Bills" sold for $43.7 million dollars. This is one of Warhol's first silk screening paintings and this technique gave him freedom to exploit his new approach to subject matter. The series of "Dollar Bill" paintings were done in March-April 1962 and Warhol's first silkscreens were created from ink drawings  picturing the fronts and backs of one- and two-dollar bills. When I first looked at this piece of contemporary art work I didn't think much of it at all. I initially just thought whats so great about a bunch of 1 dollar bills?! I then began to see the meaning behind the picture; it was created in response to the post-war world's media. This particular piece removes the hand of the artist and makes the viewer feel a sense of disconnectedness and distance in which the world around him was portrayed. I also think that Warhol is trying to convey to his audience that we become so wrapped up in money and take it for granted. Warhol grew up through the depression and therefore cherishes the value of a dollar whereas many others are filled with a sense of greediness and forget the value of such a thing. The attainment of wealth and fame for Warhol was something in which he had to work long and hard at. At first, I did not see this as 'art work' but as I began researching and looking beyond my first impressions, I saw further meaning behind the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment