Wednesday, December 8, 2010

"Courier" at Ualbany Museum



Courier is a group exhibition featuring 11 different contemporary artists who have created works that reference the typewriter as a touchstone to history and also explore the properties of the typewriter. I specifically found the Dark Woods, Light Woods embossed print by Leona Christie interesting. When I first looked at this piece of artwork all I saw was a bunch of random typed words and phrases; reminding me of Vija Celmin’s work of randomness and lack of point of reference. When I looked further into this piece of art, I learned that the artist’s autistic brother had typed these words out on a typewriter; merging memories with typing. I found it extremely interesting that her brother could recall every specific detail from every single Detroit railway. Having worked with autistic individuals in the past, it was intriguing to be able to see her brother’s near-photogenic memory and detailed lists come to life through art.

No comments:

Post a Comment